Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz Gallic G eyebrows all wrong??
I'm not trying to stir the pot with regard to the recent improvements etc, it was just an observation that nearly all reconstructions from 1973 onwards of this helmet have followed HRR's guidelines and reconstruction without anyone noticing it before! :? It is quite possible that the only pictures HRR had were the ones he published without actually seeing the helmet for himself.

The colour photographs have been on the RA Helmet Database for a long time now, and still it got missed! Hell! I only realised today! :oops:

Byron wrote..
Quote:Would be nice to be able to see the actual helmet. that would help answer the question I guess. Know anyone at mainz?

The colour pictures in the first post are of the original Byron :wink:

Quote: I can well believe that the G and H are just subtle regional and artisan variations on the same basic design.

I totally agree with you there!! They're contemporary helmets with regional variations as I see it. The differences between the (limited) Gallic D- H types (following HRR) are minimal. But that said, even the Sisak C has the same eyebrows as the Besancon F and the adapted Krefeld bowl!!

(goes to bed more confused....)

Messages In This Thread
Mainz Gallic G eyebrows all wrong?? - by Peroni - 05-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Re: Mainz Gallic G eyebrows all wrong?? - by Peroni - 05-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Re: Mainz Gallic G eyebrows all wrong?? - by Doc - 11-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Re: Mainz Gallic G eyebrows all wrong?? - by Doc - 11-30-2008, 06:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So what is wrong with this gallic H? Gordak 3 1,431 05-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Chuck Russell
  Gallic I Mainz Eyebrows Anonymous 5 2,893 02-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Anonymous