Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Newest Newstead (say that three times fast LOL)
Front closure loops:

[Image: PDR_0101c.jpg]

Open front:

[Image: PDR_0081c.jpg]

One more interesting detail of the Stillfried artifacts is that while the edges of the slot half (which, incidently is the right half, so the armor was 'assembled' right over left, not left over right as was the Corbridge) are straight vertical, whereas the eyelet half has angled edges reminiscent of those of the Corbridge A. Also note that only the bottom corners are clipped.

The slots are centered in the exposed portion of each plate (so a few mm below center to account for the overlap of the plate above), and are covered with a rectangular copper alloy plate, the slot of which is cut out with chisels.

Vertical connector hooks:

[Image: PDR_0102c.jpg]

A new innovation for the Newstead type segmentata was that the vertical connector hooks were actually attached to the interior face of the top girth hoop with a single rivet and then passed through a hole in the plate before curving down. One of the Stillfried girth halves has yet another difference- the hooks are iron instead of being copper alloy. They're also made of round bar, and are considerably thicker than the hooks of the Corbridge B.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Re: My Newest Newstead (say that three times fast LOL) - by Matt Lukes - 06-05-2007, 07:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My newest scutum imGladii 13 2,505 10-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Newest fashion in slave irons Robert 1 1,362 05-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Last Post: agrimensor
  SCALES the fast way LVCIVS VVLPES 114 50,341 11-11-2011, 04:35 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius