Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squamata and Plumata scales
A while back I posted a question regarding roman brass. Dr. Bishop responded by mentioning that Low brass and Red brass are the modern brasses that most closely resemble Roman orichalcum in compostion; orichalcum used for segmentata parts (hinges and the like not the rivets where gilding bronze was probably used).

I was interested in making some scales out of brass and was wondering if Low brass and Red brass are good candidates for scales or are these metals too soft. If Roman brass is generally considered orichalcum then brass scales could have been from orichalcum:?: This would make low brass and red brass good candidates for scales :?:

If chainmail were made with links about 3mm diameter using either 20 gauge or 22 gauge brass wire in low or red brass, could these brass alloys after having to be annealed for working be strong enough to hold up against being hit with a sword or pulled apart (soft metal may come apart where the rivets are in the chainmail link :?: ). I know that 20 would be stronger than 22. If anyone has any input I would apprecaite it.

Also would the above red and low brass alloys be "more likely" than other copper alloys in chainmail or scale reconstruction.

Thanks in advance

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Squamata and Plumata scales - by Doc - 07-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Re: Squamata and Plumata scales - by Matt Lukes - 07-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Re: Squamata and Plumata scales - by Matt Lukes - 07-16-2007, 02:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are these real roman lorica squamata scales ? Jose Lopez 10 3,681 12-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Masada and related squamata? scales Doc 1 1,587 11-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Lorica squamata Scales Matt Lukes 6 2,461 05-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis