Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dissertation on Re-enactment - a plea for aid!
1) Male

2) under 25

3) Roman 33-73 AD

4) soldier/optio/gladiator

5) Hobby

6) Absolutely!

7) Authenticity. I agree, that authenticity is very important but you can only take it so far. I also agree that while simulated combat as a soldier is probably not accurate because the tactics we use are based on modern military tactics, also we use several safety measures that make is evenless accurate. While, I have no problem displaying the swastika on a sheild or sewn on my tunic because that is a symbol of good luck, the general public sees that as a symbol of hatred and Adolf Hitler. For that reason I do not display that symbol on my gear.

This re-enacting period is not like most re-enacting periods. You can go to WWII events, or Rev. War, or even Medevial events and they can tell you even the smallst of detail. On the Roman side, especially the Republic and early Imperial period a lot of information they we no little to nothing about. The tunic color we have no idea, we can make an educated guess but that is it.

8) Education Most people that are really into the hobby are entertained by educating the public, or at least I am.

9) Violence with no educational purpose (as a gladiator I do not mind violence for a good purpose, except when I am the one that dies)
Inauthentic display (When we know that that particular item/s didn't exist during that period or was no longer in use during the period)
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda

Messages In This Thread
Re: Dissertation on Re-enactment - a plea for aid! - by jbd_29349 - 07-27-2007, 04:51 PM
survey - by Robbie Phillips - 07-27-2007, 08:27 PM