Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manufacturing in the Roman Empire
Ave Civitas,

I want to thank all the people who have responded. You have helped me immensely.

But .....

I have questions about pre-industrial manufacturing.

Unlike today's factories where specialized machinery allow for assembly line production, in Rome I do not think there were factories where whole end-items were produced.

1. I know that there were kiln sites that could have been seen as a precursor to today's factory where many kilns, mixing pits, potter's wheels, etc would be set up in one central location.

Would this centralized work site be the exception or the norm.

2. Imperial mints were, because of the valuable metals, probably under lock and key as they are today. But what about the foundaries that rendered the precious metals from the ore?

I imagine that the smelting was done at the quarry site and then the ore was transported to the mints. There are many examples of sunken ships with ingots aboard.

I believe that the mines were Imperial property. That suggests that they were guarded by the military rather than by a security force under the control of the Publicani who secured the contract for the mining / smelting.

When a coin was struck at a specific mint, was that the only coin they struck in the mint until a sufficient number of coins were minted? I would think that that would be the case. I just need a confirmation on that.

3. Armories produced many different items. One produced weapons, another armor, another something else.

Were the production of these items set-up like a modern assembly line? That is, the swords forged in location A, wrought and sharpened in location B, Have handles attached in location C, or were they handled by a single craftsman from start to finish?

4. And what of end-items of a complicated nature such as carriages or siege engines?

5. Does anyone know where I might go (bookwise) to research these things?
Are there any web sites that someone might know that could enlighten me?

Thanks again. You guys are a terriffic help.

Me.:
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)

Messages In This Thread
Manufacturing in the Roman Empire - by Lothia - 08-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Re: Manufacturing in the Roman Empire - by Lothia - 08-22-2007, 03:10 AM
besides military - by richard - 08-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Re: Manufacturing in the Roman Empire - by Lothia - 08-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Re: besides military - by Endre Fodstad - 09-03-2007, 10:01 AM