Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replenishment of the Imperial Army and losses.
Aryaman's views seem correct, from what I know.

Thinking about factors affecting attrition ...

Troops who are regularly paid and content, have solid permanent shelter, are used to the local climate and diseases, and are in a basically peaceful area will suffer very few losses. Armies lacking these things can suffer losses almost as fast in peace as in a major war. I've seen some interesting figures from the wars of the Hapsburgs in Flanders in the sixteenth century somewhere. The Imperials suffered appalling losses in peace and war.

Quote:5% of losses, it's not so much.
50%/75% of losses for the losers would be possible if the army is entirely routed?
Cause most of the casualties were caused not in the battle, but during the rout.
Well, 10-15% losses are common for a looser who is not pursued, if I recall VDH's figures for fifth century Greek battles. 50-75% would only happen if one side could not retreat and was deliberately massacred. On the other hand, badly motivated troops often desert after a defeat, so a loosing army could suffer many more "losses" than "casualties" (dead and wounded).

A Dr. Walter Schiedel of Stanford wrote a paper on the demographics of the Roman imperial army. I think is is available publicly online, but I never read it properly after downloading it.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Legion VI Ferrata - by D B Campbell - 08-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Re: Legion VI Ferrata - by Tarbicus - 08-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Re: Replenishment of the Imperial Army and losses. - by Sean Manning - 08-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Scheidel on demographics - by D B Campbell - 08-31-2007, 01:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Roman Army Camp Excavated in Israel Gunthamund Hasding 1 1,393 07-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  High Imperial Roman army vs Late Roman army Mrbsct 133 27,748 11-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Timianus
  Discipline in the imperial Roman army Calvo 20 6,089 07-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Timianus