Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet modifications after Trajan\'s Dacian Campaign
Hi All

I'm a beginner here in two respects I guess.

First, I'm a forum gumby (at 57 years of age! What an admission. My 22 year old son is virtually the godfather of the antipodean internet!)

And, second, I'm starting with a tirone's knowledge of helmets, so please spare the vine rod if I ask embarrassing questions at first.

I'm trying to figure out why I can't find (online) museum or replica photos of Trajanic Imperial Gallic helmets with retrofitted (or otherwise) reinforcing crossbars.

I found a Peter Connolly illustration of a retrofitted Gallic H and a photo of what I'm assuming is a (Gallic G) conversion, both on the Legio VI Victrix site ( http://www.legionsix.org/helmet.htm ). That, however, seems to be the sum total and nothing suggesting Gallics manufactured with crossbars.

The eyebrow ridges certainly wouldn't have made fitting the crossbars easy - hence the many reinforced Italics. Maybe the ridges were good enough against the falx? (Hmm). Anyhow, if anyone shed any light on this for me please that would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)

Messages In This Thread
Helmet modifications after Trajan\'s Dacian Campaign - by Spurius Papirius Cursor - 09-05-2007, 11:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helmet Types for then Dacian Wars? Darrell Hindley 3 441 04-06-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Darrell Hindley
  Need help Identifying helmet on a relief depicting Trajan Corvus 0 212 09-12-2021, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  Roman Equipment Modifications in the Desert Renicus Ferrarius 14 4,275 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe