Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!)
Quote:We are not discussing the skill of the sculptors here, but the accuracy of the stuff they depict.

True, but I never argued the panels were inaccurate. I posted images both with and without Pteruges as well from the panels.

My statement was the number of Pteruges, the layers, and provided a reason why we rarely (not never, but rarely) see multiple layers of Pteruges on most legionary… the cost of all that extra embellishment on the subarmails. I actually argued that some legionary did have Pteruges.

(but yes, I did digress into picking on the sculptor! and I followed Matt's joke with one of my own Smile )

Quote:Matt said: Maybe he's just scratching the guy's back with it?

Anthony replied: Scratching your head that way could leave you without a head!

But back to the number and layers of Pteruges... the basis was the same for why we see many ornate pugio scabbards but, there are many more plain ones… the cost.

Why we see eagle handled swords made of ivory but, more often they are all very similar and made from bone… the cost of making a carved eagle handle, the craftsmanship it takes to make one and the cost of the ivory.

Not that it will "it'll break the bank! The Empire will be ruined!" but extra emblishment would add a great deal of extra expense... and it would have taken more time to make each piece, which means less could be made in short time.

If extra expense was not an issue, then every Roman would have had ornate Muscle armor, layers and layers of multi color Pteruges, ivory handled swords, custom ornate helmets, etc.

I’ve read that the Base of Antoninus Pius, above, is a scene of a Triumph (a parade celebrating a victory) so, I would venture to guess that the sculpture was looking at soldiers or had observed the Triumph.... or possible not.
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) - by AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Late response... - by Tribune Valerius - 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Re: Late response... - by Tarbicus - 11-29-2007, 08:45 AM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 12-06-2007, 06:12 PM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 01-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Re: pteruges - by Tarbicus - 01-16-2008, 10:50 AM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Re: pteruges - by Magnus - 01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Re: my method for sleeve pteruges - by muskitear - 01-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,639 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Friendship-bracelets as pteruges Zarathustra 5 585 09-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges Vitruvius 14 3,059 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius