Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!)
ok everyone my apologies for shouting and here is the revised version of my earlier posting.

The pteruges pronounced ter-OO-gas, are leather ‘strips’ attached at the shoulder and waist of the under armour padding called a subarmalis in latin. With each individual the measurements obviously differ, so the measurements will not be given as these will give rise to confusion. My intention is to show the method I used to construct my subarmalis/pteruges.

The initial starting point of my subarmalis and indeed the only original part of it left was an English Civil War ‘buff’ coat. Buff coat being the style as it was not buff at all, but I digress!

The skirt of the coat was divided lengthways around the circumference into strips of equal width; these were double layered with leather cut from a side of hide. Another layer of strips to go around the waist were cut out, the length approx a third shorter than the first layer of strips.

The side and bottom edges of these strips were then folded backwards and stuck down, holes were then made at roughly regular intervals where the edges had been stuck down.(very very time consuming and very boring job to do, no pun intended.)

The leather was then hand stitched using linen thread using the holes already made for the purpose (another slow and repetitive job), the top layer of pteruges were then joined to the bottom layer where they joined the waist of the subarmalis

Once completed, the lower set of pteruges were embellished with tassles of natural cotton. Avoid using modern tassles, they may look good but will definitely not be authentic material! These were cut glued and stitched to the bottom of each individual pteruge.

The shoulder pteruges are constructed in a similar way to the waist, being folded ,glued and stitched, again measurements are not given.

To attach the pteruges at the shoulders I cut out a rectangle of leather for each shoulder, the outer edge, that is to say the edge furthest from the neck of the subarmalis was scalloped along its entire length.

The top of each pteruge was glued to the rear of the shoulder piece. Starting at the middle and working out, each strip was angled slightly from its neighbour. The second longer layer was then glued to the shoulder section but overlapping the original layer.

I have found that while they the pteruges will not lay flat they will not stick out like wings either and the weight of a mail shirt when worn will pull the pteruges down into a better position.

Once glued into position the pteruges were stitched to the shoulder unit.
I have chosen to call it a unit as I have not attached it permanently to the subarmalis. I have found that attached pteruges tend to get caught when putting on a mail shirt and thought it would be easier if the shoulder pteruges were detachable

The pteruges where then dyed using a dark red leather dye.a neutral wax was applied and buffed to a finish

I will post pictures soon
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]

Messages In This Thread
Late response... - by Tribune Valerius - 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Re: Late response... - by Tarbicus - 11-29-2007, 08:45 AM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 12-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Re: Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) - by MartinWard - 01-15-2008, 01:09 AM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 01-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Re: pteruges - by Tarbicus - 01-16-2008, 10:50 AM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Re: pteruges - by Magnus - 01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Re: my method for sleeve pteruges - by muskitear - 01-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,639 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Friendship-bracelets as pteruges Zarathustra 5 585 09-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges Vitruvius 14 3,059 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius