Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were Celtic inscriptions found in USA?
This is off memory as I ditched my copy of the book many years ago, but I believe it was in a book entitled "How the Irish Saved History" that a story was related of Celts being brought over to North America to mine for Iron by Carthaginians. This was based on the stupendous historical facts that Carthaginians were the preeminent sailors of their day, there was easily available Iron in New York State, and in the general vicinity of New York State (I believe the finds were also made in Pennsylvania and New Jersey) stones have been found with what appear to be "Irish" inscriptions on them. The stones are undatable and unreadible except in bits and pieces (i.e. what could be a letter here, and there on a given stone).

I never put stock in the idea at all as: Carthaginian contact with Ireland was minimal at best, The Carthaginians had plenty of Iron in Spain, North America was a long way to go for anything, And there has been a large population of Irish Immigrants in the region for a couple of centuries so they could more easily have been fabricated by more recent locals. "When all else is equal, the simpler answer is preferable".

I hope this helps.

Cordially,

Michael
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael

Messages In This Thread
Celtic inscriptions in USA - by zugislander - 10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
skeletons and anthropologists - by richard - 10-26-2007, 07:32 AM