Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Museum Hadrian Exhibition in July 2008
I was fortunate enough to get an invite to the private opening of the exhibition last night, free wine and canapes!

Boris Johnson, (Mayor of London) made his welcoming speech in Latin and then switched to English.

They've already sold 15,000 tickets and that's ahead of the opening today so it looks like it will be quite popular!

They've made a great exhibition area inside the library and some of the objects they have are together for the first time since they were made.

It starts off with a lot of marble busts and statuary, an amazing larger than life-size head of Hadrian found in Turkey is the first thing you see.

Then it continues telling with the exhibits tying in with the story of his life and achievements.

Amongst other things there is, a 6ft red marble statue of a faun from Tivoli, a full model of Hadrian's Villa, 5 Fayum portraits some from Berlin and the Louvre, a set of hand tools to illustrate the building of Hadrian's Wall.

It's £12 entrance but I think it's worth it when you look at the labels and see all the different countries that have sent exhibits in.

Conveniently the exit from the exhibition takes you right out into the shop!
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com

Messages In This Thread
Re: British Museum Hadrian Exhibition in July 2008 - by Musivarius - 07-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Makeover at the British Museum sally 2 1,539 09-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Last Post: sally
  2013 at the British Museum - Pompeii & Herculaneum Medicus matt 4 2,148 09-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Celtic exhibition in museum Tolmin Joze Noriker 5 2,038 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Last Post: huojin