Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The survival rate of ancient literature
I don't suppose Elizabeth Taylor's having said to Richard Burton in the 60s movie Cleopatra, "...they burned the library?!" would count as a reference? :lol: :roll:

I said it was an opinion. I could probably dig around and find things that would agree with me, and things that wouldn't. In either case, others could find opposite viewpoints. If it were clearly documented, then there wouldn't be disagreement, odds are. Then there would be no argument.

It's just easy to blame the medieval Church for all the ills of the world, and many do. In some cases, it's true. In others, it's the continual bashing of the Church that prompts such statements.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The survival rate of ancient literature - by M. Demetrius - 02-07-2008, 07:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inventory of the entire body of ancient literature Eleatic Guest 6 2,124 08-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Text Transmission: The (non)-survival of Ancient Books Julian de Vries 1 1,650 09-29-2017, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Julian de Vries
  Tidal Waves or Tsunamis in Ancient Literature Eleatic Guest 29 8,751 03-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat