Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The survival rate of ancient literature
Hi Sean,

No worries. I've done the same thing (should probably do it more :oops: )

Quote:To be safe, say 500 to 800 CE (only 300 years, I know). The date at which books began to be lost on a large scale seems quite debatable, and you could make a case for as early as 400 CE. The Carolingian Renaissance seems to have stopped the large-scale loss of Latin books.

Makes perfect sense. That exact period really was 'dark' (especially for Britain) due to the chaos of the time. So, I have no qualms to the use of 'dark ages' when referring to it Smile

Sean Manning\\n[quote] According to Warren Treadgold, Renaissances Before the Renaissance p. 11, “The measure of the disaster is that the great majority of the Latin literature that was ever lost disappeared between 550 and 750, when secular texts were left uncopied and were often even erased or discarded.â€
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: The survival rate of ancient literature - by Theodosius the Great - 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inventory of the entire body of ancient literature Eleatic Guest 6 2,127 08-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Text Transmission: The (non)-survival of Ancient Books Julian de Vries 1 1,654 09-29-2017, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Julian de Vries
  Tidal Waves or Tsunamis in Ancient Literature Eleatic Guest 29 8,791 03-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat