Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newly discovered Hellenistic (?) mail
Could you ask Stanimir for any information on other artefacts that were found with this mail? On what basis does he date this item? What are those other plates (labelled 14 in the first image)?

The yoke clasp, though I've never seen one like that before, looks Celtic.

As I stated in the other thread, I suspect that these are from another find of the Padea–Panaghiurski Kolonii group. In the latter second century BC, this type of elite Dacian burial spread below the Danube, and so this find would fit in perfectly. However, if it does come from a burial of this group, it cannot date to before the second century BC.

In that other thread that you link to, I recognize the first image as being of the famous Ciumesti finds, but where is the second from, and what other kinds of artefacts was it found with? How are those two plates with attachment fixtures oriented on the body? I see that he states that it dates to the 2nd or 1st C. BC. The third image looks to me like small rusted fragments of iron scale armour. Again, any further information on those other than they are from Sveticata and date to the last three centuries BC? Could he provide a citation for Kitov discussing it?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: newly discovered Hellenistic (?) mail - by MeinPanzer - 01-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Re: newly discovered Hellenistic (?) mail - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newly Remodelled Chesterholm Museum, Vindolanda Lindsay_Powell 13 3,479 05-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Newly reported ?Cavalry Mask Ingvar Sigurdson 15 4,045 03-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix