Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rachel Weiss - Ancient Librarian
Quote:I'm pleased that Hollywood will be delivering this latest feature based on ancient history. The more I study the Classics, the more I realize the dearth of primary source material and wonder how much we lost in the tragic burning of the Library of Alexandria...

Hollywood's "historical" works are certainly disappointing to those of us who immerse ourselves in the discipline ("Troy" is the most glaring recent example, though technically that story is myth not history). But these movies do expose people to historical events, people who would normally have no interest whatsoever in history. Exposure to the subject hopefully leads some to search for the truth.

This movie is not a Hollywood one, actually the production is entirely spanish, as well as the director and most of the artistic crew, Even if the budget is more a blockbuster kind.
I liked the trailer, but ther's one thing I'm afraid about. I've also seen a very brief making of, and showing the filming set I distinguished a group of several lorica segmentata. I ignore if there is any kind of flashback which could justify this anacronism. Otherwise it seems that Amenabar doesn't care about costume accuracy. As far as I know the last evidence in the use of this kind of armour is the arch of Septimius Severus in Rome, which means one century and a half before the movie facts. Anyway is too soon to come to a conclusion and is always good news to find filmakers brave enough to explore the past.
Bob

Messages In This Thread
Rachel Weiss - Ancient Librarian - by Lanista - 03-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Re: Rachel Weiss - Ancient Librarian - by A_Volpe - 03-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Re: Rachel Weiss - Ancient Librarian - by Memmia - 03-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Re: Rachel Weiss - Ancient Librarian - by qcarr - 03-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Re: - by Flaminio - 03-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Re: Rachel Weiss - Ancient Librarian - by qcarr - 05-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Another Early Review of Agora - by Narukami - 05-28-2009, 01:11 AM