Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How hoplites carried their spears
There is another way to look at things however...and I'm not saying I'm defending this rather than the other,but both theories have to be presented. Perhaps it is safer in close order if there is much of the shaft left behind the grip. The spear is usually held in a slight angle. The more shaft it left behind,the higher the sauroter goes over the back row's heads,making the but harmless anyway. This is also depicted in early sculptures and vase paintings. For example look at the Siphnian treasury hoplites. Almost half of the shaft is left begind the frip. Also,in many vases and sculptures no sauroter is shown...And I have seen in person sauroters of much different size. Firt of all,many of them are iron,so they don't have extra weight compared with the spear point. And many of them are tiny!In some cases I've seen tiny iron sauroters! And they were not early but late,3rd century bc I think. On the other hand I've seen huge bronze sauroters,often longer than 30 cm of lenght. Also having the point of balance nearer to the center,you have a more maneuverable spear,and shorter at the same time,to be able to work with in a close combat. So there is contradicting evidence. On other representations,there is both a tiny spear point,a huge sauroter,plus the shaft is thicker in the sauroter and much thinner in the spear point. This was indeed true some times,as I've seen preserved shafts in Vergina that had a thickness of about 1,5 cm at the tip ending to a much thicker butt.This would serve in sarissa, but in art it is shown in earlier finds
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
How hoplites carried their spears - by Cipher - 04-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Re: How hoplites carried their spears - by Cipher - 04-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Re: How hoplites carried their spears - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 04-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Hoplite Carriage of spears - by Paullus Scipio - 04-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Hoplite Spears - by Paullus Scipio - 04-10-2008, 02:29 AM
Hoplite spears - by Paullus Scipio - 04-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Hoplite Spears - by Paullus Scipio - 04-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Hoplite Spears - by Paullus Scipio - 04-14-2008, 01:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Hoplites carried their rations of food Strategos 5 3,449 06-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Last Post: spyros