Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swastika on roman army shields/gear
To put in a word for the other side, and of course, it's your kit, Nick, do as you think best. But if a swastika, or any other symbol is offensive to a significant plurality of other people, and has changed its meaning to something different over time, then even though authentic historically, it might cause many otherwise needless explanations to be needed, and focus attention on the symbol rather than the overall impression. It's likely that many will go away thinking "Nazi" instead of "Roman".

Sometimes, ideas get caught in the vise of "things I can do" vs. "things I should do." (I don't pretend to be in a position to tell you what to do, though.) Still, everything needs to be weighed, that's all. Odds are, a symbol painted or appliqued on your tunic won't change your luck, in and of itself, will it?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by Decius - 04-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by DanM - 04-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 04-22-2008, 04:23 AM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by DanM - 04-23-2008, 02:09 AM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by M. Demetrius - 06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-09-2008, 10:50 PM