Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrack Sizes and fort layouts
Quote:so where they get the idea that they have found granaries i do not know...

The direction it faces is also totally wrong going from the Wall segment, since the so called officers quarters and headquarters are not at all in the region they would have to be going from a regular fortress layout.

could you get us a larger drawing made by the archeologists themselves?
I mean an excavation report of any sort!!

and or a list of finds on which they base their conclusions?

i found this text on the net

Hi Marcvs,

Thanks for your imput, it is really appreciated. I presume the dark shades representing the CO's house, Headquarters and granaries represent stone foundations found through excavations, but I cannot guarantee this. While the granaries can be identified as so as they seem to share similar foundations with other granaries, so little has been excavated about the CO's house and headquarters that you may be right they are mis-identified.

Also, what do you mean by these two buildings being in the wrong region and facing wrong direction? What region and direction should they be according to the typical fort layout?

As for a larger image and other stuff, sadly I cannot get a hold of Archaeologia Aeliana vol 30, which details the excavations and such at this time, so the reconstruction shall have to be made with what is at hand.

As for the text, I am aware about it, I have used much of it for my wikipedia article regarding the fort. This reconstruction is to provide some images for that article www.wikipedia.org/Pons Aelius

Yuri

Messages In This Thread
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by Arahne - 05-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 05-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by Arahne - 05-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by jkaler48 - 05-08-2008, 06:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Everyday Items found in a Barrack Block Paul Elliott 2 1,137 10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott