Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrack Sizes and fort layouts
Now for individual replies:

Quote:My suggestion is to start like the romans did, so position principia first, then porta praetoria which should face the principia. In Your square plan principia is not facing the porta praetoria. Then position of via principalis and via praetoria. THen left and right from via praetoria two granaries. That is how You would get tipical roman fort layout. I dont know how You got to this colour reconstruction since that in you explanation pic You have drawn accurate b/w ground plan???
Basically the huge problem are the fort walls which are missing. As I said use the above mentioned barack sizes that I gave You. Centurion house is separate construction from the barracks contubernia and You can not simply attach another contubernium to the supposed 10, but annother larger building which should be positioned between the barack and via sagularis.

Hi Stefan, I may reposition the buildings in question. The colour reproduction I made was based on the sketch so the location of the granaries, CO's house and Headwarters is supported by archaeological evidence.

The groundplans are borrowed from the nearby fort at arbeia and its reconstructions (for CO's house). Headquarters plan from an example seen on Paul Bidwell's Roman Forts.

Abour the barracks, again, the groundplan is that of the Arbeia fort, and its reconstruction, and the large room (and not a house) at the end is also supported in Paul Bidwell's Roman Forts. I presume the separate house at the end of the barracks was for larger and more prestigious fortresses (such as legionary ones) and I doubt such a small fort as the Pons Aelius one would have such luxury, especially for auxiliaries.

Remember my above post, much of the reconstruction is conjectural, based on incomplete evidence, possibly faulty interpretation of that incomplete evidence and heavy borrowing from similar/nearby ground plans/constructions.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by Arahne - 05-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by Arahne - 05-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 05-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by jkaler48 - 05-08-2008, 06:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Everyday Items found in a Barrack Block Paul Elliott 2 1,143 10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott