Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bronze helmets on Albenga shipwreck?
While looking through the Abyssoblu database, I noticed this reference to a cache of bronze shipboard helmets: are there any images of these around? Type?<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
The Albenga ship was one of the largest Roman trade vessel wrecks known, about 40m long.<br>
It belonged to the type called myriaphora, meaning that the ship could carry more than 10000 amphorae (about 450 tons).<br>
The cargo was composed mostly of wine amphorae, Dressel 1 type (above). The ship sunk at the beginning of the first Century B.C., probably in consequence of adverse weather conditions: the bow still heads to the coast. The wreck lies at a depth of -42m, on a muddy bottom off Albenga.<br>
<br>
.Among the most interesting findings there are some bronze helmets possibly used by the crew as a defense against pirates attacks, some fragments of the hull with its lead cover and some lead anchor stocks.<br>
Part of the cargo was recovered and its disposition rebuilt (right) by Professor Nino Lamboglia in the Naval Museum in Albenga.<br>
<br>
. Albenga helmets <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Messages In This Thread
Bronze helmets on Albenga shipwreck? - by richard - 10-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Re: Bronze helmets on Albenga shipwreck? - by Anonymous - 10-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Re: Bronze helmets on Albenga shipwreck? - by Anonymous - 11-06-2004, 10:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting 'lion' montefortino found in shipwreck Dave G 0 975 11-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Dave G
  new Roman shipwreck found in Sardinia Gunthamund Hasding 0 1,028 07-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding
  Comacchio Roman Shipwreck Neuraleanus 4 2,429 02-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Luca