Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The painted red strip around the outside of Roman Buildings
Mark:

About blood paint: My initial reaction on reading your response was frustration with myself, because usually I'm pretty careful about swallowing myths like that. So I did a little research, including checking out the wiki links you gave about ochre and vermilion (very interesting, BTW -- I didn't know vermilion was so expensive in Roman times). Neither seemed to specifically debunk blood, though.

I found the following link at www.painterforum.com , which claims to be "house painting advice from professionals." Granted, they're not paint chemists, but they repeat the milk-and-blood story, though they do state the primary pigment in barn paint was red iron oxide.

http://painterforum.com/milk.html

A little more authoritatively, Stanford University publishes the Journal of the American Institute for Conservation (which I take to mean in the museum sense). The following article covers methods of analysis of primitive paints and pigments, and it specifically covers the use of blood (section 7 - 7.3), though it seems to be as a proteinaceous binder.

http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/articles/j ... 3-002.html

So, while "smelly mess" seems a likely accurate description of a blood-milk paint, it's clear that both elements were used in paint, though maybe not specifically in combination. Until I see something specifically and authoritatively debunking it (and I'd accept a "Mythbusters" episode), as far as I'm concerned, it's still a "maybe." Still, iron oxide seems a far more likely source of that red. I've lived where the earth contains red clay, and I can tell you those pigments are tenacious in staining things.

But thanks for reminding me how often "common knowledge" isn't really knowledge at all.
Wayne Anderson/ Wander

Messages In This Thread
stripe - by Graham Sumner - 06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
wall - by Graham Sumner - 06-22-2008, 02:40 AM
Re: The painted red strip around the outside of Roman Buildings - by Wander - 06-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Painted bands - by Graham Sumner - 08-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Red Bands on Roman buildings - by Paullus Scipio - 08-24-2008, 11:19 AM