Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannibal-in-the-Alps questions
Two weeks ago, I saw a fascinating documentary about Hannibal on the German TV, which was made by Jörg Altekruse for Arte, a Spanish TV network and the German WDR. It was certainly not bad, and I liked to watch how a team of academicians (Armin Reller, Pedro Barceló) plus a circus artist (Wendel Huber) guided an elephant across the Alps. There were more people in that team, but I have not written down all their names.

Although spectacular, I was also intrigued by several statements.

(1)
It was said that Hannibal's army counted 100,000 men. That is what Polybius says; but according to Serge Lancell (Hannibal, 1995), he exaggerates. I thought that Lancell was summarizing the communis opinio. Am I wrong?

(2)
They said that Hannibal's crossing the Alps with elephants was some sort of PR stunt, intended to make a comparison with Heracles, who went from Spain to Italy with the cattle of Geryon. But were the Punic soldiers aware of the existence of this myth? (I only know about Hercules' return through Italy from Latin sources, like Livy.)

(3)
They stated that winter started early in 218. As far as I know, the soldiers encountered snows of the previous year when they were descending. Have I missed something?

(4)
Finally, they said that when the Romans were regaining ground and brought down Carthage, they obtained so much silver that it created inflation. As far as I know, the Romans debased their currency. Again, have I missed something?

I am seriously starting to doubt things I thought I knew for certain, but I have not read anything more recent than Serge Lancel's book. (I have not read Prevas' book, for instance.) Anyone any thoughts?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Hannibal-in-the-Alps questions - by Jona Lendering - 07-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Re: Hannibal-in-the-Alps questions - by S SEVERUS - 07-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Re: Hannibal-in-the-Alps questions - by Aryaman2 - 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Re: Hannibal-in-the-Alps questions - by Aryaman2 - 07-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Re: Hannibal-in-the-Alps questions - by Aryaman2 - 07-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Re: Hannibal-in-the-Alps questions - by Epictetus - 08-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Re: Hannibal-in-the-Alps questions - by Ben Kane - 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM