Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greaves and Vambraces in the rank and file
Quote:I think we need to bear in mind that the classic Republican scutum was longer and possibly wider than the accepted Imperial version (generally accepted I believe but I'm up for a row about it), yet the Republican legionary felt the need to wear a greave. I'd definitely argue that a serious wound to the leg meant a more serious body wound was sure to follow.

Given the weight of the armour aswell, holdind the line, or indeed standing upright with a leg or shin injury must have been nearly impossible. Once you are down, you would be an easy target.

What you have mentioned above gets me thinking. It has been argued because of marching and so on greaves would be undesirable, but what about the hellenistic armies of macedon, seleucia, etc? They were also probably accustomed to march many miles, and many of them wore greaves.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greaves and Vambraces in the rank and file - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 07-30-2008, 01:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The First Spear vs First File question. Brent Nielsen 1 2,251 11-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Primus Pilus - First File Leader not First Javelin JeffF 5 2,697 08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Use of Vambraces (arm guards) Marcus Germanicus Ferox 5 2,746 06-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Anonymous