Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greaves and Vambraces in the rank and file
Quote:Yuri,

There is evidence for the manica in the first century AD, prior to the Dacian wars. In this period it is also depicted at the Rhine limes, so it certainly wasn't always associated with the Dacian falx.

You can read about this in this excellent article (written by Caballo):

Yep, I have read it already. Its very informative alright, and helps dispel the notion the manica came only during the dacian wars.

Quote:On greaves: there is indeed little hard evidence for greaves on rank and file in the first century AD. But I feel that some would have been in use for sure. The legs are often very vurnarable, especially the legs of the front rank in a moving testudo!
I will sometimes wear a pair of short greaves, like the ones depicted on the Adamklissi metopes, with my first century impression. Perhaps coupled with a manica if I feel like going 'robocop'.

Vale,
Jef

I like to imagine an entire armoured first cohort with manica, greaves, etc hehe. Would have been a pretty effective corps me thinks 8)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greaves and Vambraces in the rank and file - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 07-30-2008, 08:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The First Spear vs First File question. Brent Nielsen 1 2,251 11-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Primus Pilus - First File Leader not First Javelin JeffF 5 2,698 08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Use of Vambraces (arm guards) Marcus Germanicus Ferox 5 2,746 06-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Anonymous