Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greaves and Vambraces in the rank and file
Quote:Maybe for spearmen it would have been easier as you are less vulnerable due to the distance.

I think having a spear is a much worse perdicament, as you're likely holding it with both hands, and if a Roman got "inside" your spear (since there is only one pointy end going towards said Roman), your arms and torso are more exposed...But, I can't explain this well enough, I wish I had pictures...This reminds me to get onto that project sometime. *roll*

Quote:I just imagined as the legionaries were pretty much armour clad (Helmet, Lorica/Hamata, Scutum) perhaps a barbarian would opt to strike at a vulnerable and less protected spot, like the legs.

Well, we don't have "proof" that every single Roman was in armor - those Mainz reliefs help question that notion. So, a shield and helmet, helping to cover the body and head, is certainly I think a priority for armor. (afterall, it works just fine for other soldiers/warriors later on; ie Norse/Viking) but as you said, if you're a smart barbarian and don't want to damage your sword (or spear...) by hitting the shield or armor, as you'd know that's not going to do you much good, perhaps you would take the risk and go for the legs or something else exposed....And as I described, I think you'll end up in a heap of trouble doing that. Big Grin

Also, one of the points I try to make in programs I give - You don't just worry about the Roman infront of you who you're fighting, you have to worry about the other Romans in the line next to your opponent covering him, too!

As for the greaves being worn on the left leg in the Republic period - My side theory is perhaps they wore the greave as a protection from the Scutum itself! Maybe they were using the greave to help brace the shield up onto the shin, and fighting around the scutum (if, say, their arms were too tired from holding them up - if they did that; I know it's exhausting to hold up a Repub. scutum up for a few minutes! And trying to walk with the thing "faced front" I bash my legs into that thing constantly....But then I'm not used to that weight as a Roman would probably be)

I think this comes into play when we see the greave 'return' in the 100's AD - perhaps the greave is not only to cover the shin, but also to help brace for the shield, as well as protect the leg from the shield rubbing up the leg.

There is a great sculpture of a Gladiator in a 'classic gladiator pose', I forget the name of it unfortunately, but, he's got his shoulder into the shield, and it's braced up on (or very near) his knee, and I'm pretty sure he has a greave on the left leg - He is thrusting over and down the top of his shield.

Unfortunately I don't know cavalry so I can't comment on that Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greaves and Vambraces in the rank and file - by A_Volpe - 08-01-2008, 09:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The First Spear vs First File question. Brent Nielsen 1 2,245 11-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Primus Pilus - First File Leader not First Javelin JeffF 5 2,689 08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Use of Vambraces (arm guards) Marcus Germanicus Ferox 5 2,740 06-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Anonymous