Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek re-enactors - how do you display?
After asking around the group I have found someone who seems to have had a similar experience to me (at the same event) to add to your theory Paul.

Quote:I'm Paul H from Saeberts Folc I think the theory may hold water. I was in a boar snout/genral press at kelmarsh with between 20 - 30 warriors the problem I had was having the wind knocked out of me with the shock of the impact then not being able to get a proper breath back afterwards due to the press it made pushing diffcult. I was on the front of the formation and fighting with hand weapons (sword / axe ) was very limited.

I also have handled an aspis & dori (spear) in the hoplite associations drill when I attened the hoplite festival in london, in thinking back the curve of the aspis would also protect the sheild arm from being crushed in the press, something that a flat sheild doesn't do and it's easy in the confusion to get your arm caught between your sheild and the sheild of the warrior next to you which is very painful, thankfuly there was only 20 -30 vike on one side an similar number of ECW pike man on the other, otherwise the injury might have been more serious as it was a large part of my elbow was bruised for a couple of weeks and I still have a bit of a scar.

If you like I'll add more experiences as I receive them.
Pericles of Rhodes (AKA George)

Messages In This Thread
Greek Re-enactors display - by Paullus Scipio - 08-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Greek Hoplites - display? - by Paullus Scipio - 08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Xenophon and Theban Tactics - by Paullus Scipio - 08-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Re: Greek re-enactors - how do you display? - by Pericles of Rhodes - 09-06-2008, 07:34 PM