Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
War criminals as Gladiators
I am in the midst of researching a novel where one of the major story arcs involves modern war criminals that are forced into gladiatorial combat. So far, I have found a wealth of information here but I have some rather strange questions and am having some difficulty tracking down reasonable answers.

The war criminals are recruited from around the world and do not fit into traditional Roman Gladiatorial types. They are made to fight in their native costume and arms.

For example, there is a Peruvian with a brass helmet decorated with a plume of black and red feathers. He wears a long sur coat with black and white checkered squares, with bare legs and leather sandals. He wields a spear and has the round hide shield of an Incan warrior.

Now the questions:
1. There is a Bosnian Serb. Due to the waves of invaders through the Balkan peninsula, he could the traditional arms of anything from Byzantine to Celtic to Greek to Slav, etc. Is there one that you feel is most appropriate?

2. There is a Chechnyan. Is it accurate that he have the arms of a Scythian or a Slav? Do you have more details on the regional arms? Flails, heavy furs?

3. What weapon would an ancient Pakistani wield?

I know these questions are from way out of left field but I think if anyone can help, this forum can! Thanks very much in advance for any insight you can offer!

'Two things only the people desire -- bread and circuses'
- Juvenal
The Barbarian at the gate
AKA Robert
\'Two things only the people desire -- bread and circuses\'
- Juvenal

Messages In This Thread
War criminals as Gladiators - by The Barbarian at the gate - 09-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Re: War criminals as Gladiators - by Ironhand - 11-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Movie Plot - by The Barbarian at the gate - 11-20-2008, 12:05 AM