Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD)
Hi all - this is my second go.

(Ahem! Starting again!)

I've been digging around and come up with an interesting source online:

Treadgold, Warren. Byzantium and its Army, 284 - 1081. Stanford University Press, 1998. 87-88,96. ([urlConfusedbeb08ip]http://books.google.com.au/books?id=xfV0LkMNaLUC&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=vicarius+tribune+late+roman+army&source=web&ots=mAwoReZ2xp&sig=oHqEYIXhgO34zvzdbB66MH6O3Fg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPA102,M1[/url])

I'm now using it with Robert's list above to try to visualise (a muster formation of) a Diocletian legion of about 300AD. I've quoted/paraphrased a couple of sections from Treadgold below that seemed most relevant to me:

DIOCLETIAN’S REGIMENTS

… Diocletian … kept most of (the old Roman legionary) command structure as it had been. … Legions, cohorts, and alae continued to have officers called tribunes, centurions, and decurions as late as the sixth century. … Diocletian’s new legions of 1,000 men would therefore have had two cohorts, each actually of 480 infantry plus officers … . Note 1

(Treadgold then discusses ranks listed in Maurice’s Strategikon).Notes 2 & 3.

The official establishment of an infantry regiment of the old type therefore seems to have consisted of the following 501 men, not necessarily in quite this order of rank[color=black]]

[color=darkred]1 tribune

1 vicarius
1 primicerius
1 adjutor

6 centurions (commanding 80 men each)
1 campidoctor
1 actuarius

1 optio
1 surgeon
2 heralds
2 draconarii
1 cape bearer

1 trumpeter
1 drummer
60 decurions (commanding 8 men each including themselves)
420 common soldiers

NOTES:
[size=75Confusedbeb08ip]1. See Watson, Roman Soldier, 22 (for cohorts) and 24-25 (for alae). On many points of military organizaton up to the seventh century, Grosse, Römische Militärgeschichte, though partly outdated, still supplies useful references to the sources.
2. Jones, Later Roman Empire, 626 (for actuarii and optiones). 634 (for centurions and decurions) and 674-75 (for the other officers).
3. Maurice, Strategicon, I.3, 1.5, III.1, and XII.7.[/size]

[Image: treadgold-table4.gif]

The names in dark red are certainly ranks from the Principate. Those in bold green are newbies. The bold reds I have some confusion about.

Taking the bold greens first. Anyone have more info? Illustrations??

Taking the bold reds next. (Trumpeter, Decurion, Common Soldiers).

(1) I've found an illustration of a 4th Century tubicen as re-created by a Comitatus member. ([urlConfusedbeb08ip]http://www.comitatus.net/trooptypes.htm[/url]) Does anyone know know if there were still cornicens in 4th Century legions? Any details? Illustrations?
[Image: image015.jpg]

(2) Decurions. I'd always thought this was a cavalry rank and that a decanus (Like the Imperial one illustrated on RomenEmpireNet - [urlConfusedbeb08ip]http://www.roman-empire.net/army/decanus.html[/url]) was the leader of a contubernium.
[Image: contubernalis-1.jpg]

(3) I note that 480 Common Soldiers has become 420 men in the table. Have I missed something?

Any and all comments, pointers etc most welcome.

Thanks!!

Howard/SPC Big Grin
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)

Messages In This Thread
Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD) - by Spurius Papirius Cursor - 10-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,925 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,990 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 21,234 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James