Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD.
That doesn't look like stamped images, I would have thought with that kind of detail it is repouse work, but I guess anything is possible!

But looking at the photo's of Eriks belt, it looks as though he has followed the original technique quite well, the borders of the plates look separate to me, at least along the verticle borders. :?

Still, nice work. And wwhy does he have to be an ordinary miles?
He could well have been an nco. He was at least a craftsman, going by his tool bag.

This would be a source of income beyond that of the regular miles.
Unless he nicked (stole) the tools as well. Tongue

And I apologise to him for speaking ill of the dead, just trying to see beyond the obvious explanation. But if he was a theif, at least he was
an honest one. Not like scum who can't keep their hands off of other peoples property for no real reason other than a lack of gray matter. :evil:

Anyway, it is a very nice belt, and would not be out of place on an officers waist, any more than a silvered/tinned helmet would be out of place on a cavelryman, who would also be better paid! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
Re: Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD. - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-03-2008, 11:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum belt etc by Hildebrandt richsc 6 7,278 02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Recent Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I made Pointer 15 2,952 08-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Herculaneum soldier\'s belt munazio planco 20 5,736 03-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs