Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to portray a Spartan king from the classical era?
Thanks for your reply,

It will probably take a while though untill I will have my first Hoplite armour piece.

Quote:There is no real evidence of the transverse crest belonging only in Kings and generals or oficers,and not even belonging only to Spartans. But if you like it, it is a plausible impression.

Well, I personally think they did, as I kindoff agree with the tranverse plume is high rank theory.

Quote:A linothorax is another choice if you want.

I think that I will stick with the cuirrass, I find it to look better, and I think that Spartan kings would wear high quality armour(not saying that Linothorax is of bad quality though).

Quote:The laconian sword is usually seen in late 5th century depictions and afterwards. It either didn't exist previously or is not depicted.

Would a Spartan king be earlier carrying a Laconian sword or a Xiphos? I think I might just thick with the Laconian sword.

Quote:The samples you saw in the hoplitikon site and in manning imperial are all excellent. If you plan to buy a helmet from manning imperial,bronze in also possible intead of brass.

If bronze is available I might choose that.

But thanks for the reply! Big Grin
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter

Messages In This Thread
Re: How to portray a Spartan king from the classical era? - by Phalanx300 - 11-05-2008, 03:41 PM