Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to portray a Spartan king from the classical era?
Quote:So Spartans were allowed to modify their shield emblem as long as the basic emblem remained, interesting, I gues this also explains the twin snakes one of your members is using and the twin rooster in an Thermopylae representation?
Not only Spartans-all hoplites. "Twin emblem" shows afililation with bost royal houses OR invocation of Castor and Polydeykes patron of the spartan Army
Exception-the twins snakes are the Melampontidae clan as my frienf G. Iliopoulos found out. They represent the two snkes that tought profecy to Melampos who originated the clan of seers, soothsayers and healers.

Quote:Twin (Mora) emblems on one shield also ment familly affiliations (blood relationships right?) with both royal families right?
For the record, the Aigeidai clan isn't the same as the royal Agiad line is it? They happen to look very similar in name.
I gues this could mean each clan had its own emblem? As we now only know the Aigeidai snake and the Talthybiadae olive wreath?
Aegidae originate from the Beotian Aegeas. Agiadae from the first prince Agis.
The clans were prominent in all city states till the middle Peloponessian war. After that their emblems became very rare in iconography

Quote:Interesting about the clans, I gues this would mean that most if not all of the clan members would wear the triangle design on the outer rim to indicate their Achean descent.

Most likely. After all Stabo say that the Achean Philonomos brought the Doreans to Peloponissos

Kind regards

Messages In This Thread
Re: How to portray a Spartan king from the classical era? - by hoplite14gr - 07-12-2009, 09:08 PM