Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to portray a Spartan king from the classical era?
Then I gues the Hoplites if they would act as musicians would wear the Aspis on their back in some sort of way?

On the horned horse, I found it in this Sparta faction Preview of the modification Roma Surrectum 2:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142035

Here is a picture portraying it:

[Image: promachoiongoing60b8fccw2.jpg]

Here is a quote about it:

Quote:They wear a chalkidian helmet but with a difference. Their cheekguards are shaped as a horned horse. Peculiar as this animal may appear it isn’t exactly so. The horses are to honour the “hippeis” of Sparta, the original highest honorary title that a Spartan could attain (and no relation to present day horsemen called also hippeis). The horns are there to signify the sacrificed rams that “logades” sacrificed before battle. Upon their burning carcases they would take an oath to replace their carcasses with their own should they abandon the line in battle. It is those oaths that 300 “logades” or “oath takers” made prior to leaving with their King long ago for a place called Hot gates. Promachoi honour both with their helmet.

Also on those Argive emblems, it says that the two different versions of it, the black and white ones, stood for the Dorians and Acheans, I'm wondering which colour stood for which people as that isn't mentioned?
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter

Messages In This Thread
Re: How to portray a Spartan king from the classical era? - by Phalanx300 - 07-14-2009, 04:21 PM