Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to portray a Spartan king from the classical era?
Though if I remember at Sellasia there were 6000 Spartan citizens, fighting as Phalangites. I believe 2000 of them would be Neodamodeis, the rest would be the original ones and the Hypomeiones. Original ones would be about 700 before Cleomenes III, that makes for about 3300 Hypomeiones at the time.

I'm wondering what exactly caused this mass loss in citizenship(Seeing we had 9000 Spartan citizens when Lycurgus made his changes!), I've heard alot that the earthquake was the cause (gods got yealous Confusedhock: ), I'm always wonder how exactly the earthquake influenced things? I've head many Spartans died in the earthquake?

I've also always read that the Hypomeiones were the one thing which the Spartan system had no answer to.

I've read that in the beginning, when a Spartan father got multiple children his land got devided, yet he wasn't forced to do this and in later times only the first born son would get the full land and other children didn't got a piece, and because of this they weren't able to pay, I always believed this was the main reason for them to rise so big.
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter

Messages In This Thread
Re: How to portray a Spartan king from the classical era? - by Phalanx300 - 07-26-2009, 08:52 PM