Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retiarius equipment specifics/finds
I've decided to take what gear I've already got made for a work in progress Murmillo impression and make up what I would need to do a retiarius in the mean time. I've made the cloth bits and the samnite belt but am going to be waiting a while for my helmet and Ocrea as I'm commisioning some rather than bye off the shelf, that and I'm moving to a different country this coming year which slows things up no end!
I'm making a trident out of a Regia Anglorum style ball ended spearhead (the benefits of having a forge!) based on what I've read in a previous topic and I want to make the pugio and Galerus soon but can't find any pictures of originals or detailed info on them. I've seen that the Pugio has a sturdy, bullet shaped blade that looks about 20cm long with a rectangular hilt but I can't see what the handle and pommel look like or what materials the furniture is constructed from. With the Galerus I had thought about trying some repouse work and putting a design into it similiar to the only one I've been able to find (the decorated one I think is from Pompeii) and had thought I'd put some dolphins or mermaids (sirens?) on it to go with the whole "Nautical" theme, does this sound about right? And could this be worn over the top of a metal Manica, I'm having a hard time telling whether some of the Manica I see in mosaics are padded or metal over padding. Gods, but I'm full of question's these days!! :oops: :roll:
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'd really like to get this kit right!
Jason Rogers

Messages In This Thread
Retiarius equipment specifics/finds - by Argonaut - 12-14-2008, 03:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil lamp depicting Murmillo vs. Retiarius fight Olaf 9 4,131 10-04-2012, 04:52 AM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Scissor & secutor vs retiarius pics Ferrarius Magnus 1 2,580 03-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Dagger for Retiarius and Hoplomachus Aurelianus 1 2,115 01-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Renicus Ferrarius