Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retiarius equipment specifics/finds
The handles of the daggers found in the gladiator school in Pompeii are made from bone. Unfortunately I don't have any digital pictures right now.

Then about the depiction of animals in repousse on your galerus. That's good to do anyway. The retiarius (rete = net) so net-fighter comes from fisherman, so a sea-theme would be right. If we take a look at the finds from Pompeii (I don't know of any galerus found outside Pompeii) these are decorated with repousse. One shows us a trident, a dolphin, a lobster and an anchor.

About using metal manica under your galerus. That's most probably which period you want to portray. To me it seems like the first century mostly fabric manicae were used, and the metal segmented and scaled ones only appeared later on. As far as I know, no metal one was found in Pompeii IMHO.

And as with gladiator gear. You probably might consider buying Marcus Junkelmann - Das Spiel mi dem Tod, even if you can't read German. At the end of the book you will find a nice catalogue with a lot of gladiatoral items including measurements (and with a little bit of interglot.com you surely will be able to understand these little descriptions). (also contains a lot of other resource pictures)
ALA I BATAVORUM

Messages In This Thread
Retiarius equipment specifics/finds - by Argonaut - 12-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Re: Retiarius equipment specifics/finds - by Jvrjenivs - 12-14-2008, 09:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil lamp depicting Murmillo vs. Retiarius fight Olaf 9 4,131 10-04-2012, 04:52 AM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Scissor & secutor vs retiarius pics Ferrarius Magnus 1 2,579 03-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Dagger for Retiarius and Hoplomachus Aurelianus 1 2,115 01-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Renicus Ferrarius