Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners)
I do think it is time we did a good run down on the drawings put forward by Miks. A D&E are decoration pieces F is the stud G shows what may be Lorica Segmentata buckle plates, that may well account for our small buckle then when we look at what appears to be the only original picture at all. We then find that D & F were under the sword scabbard, it has been suggested by Crispvs that this sword was or may have been deposited with it's belt wrapped around it as a possible complete situation of sword and belt. I would say no as there is only one object F our stud and it could bring out an idea that this particular stud is no more than a clothing fastner or a cloak fastner. The kind of cloak fastner I refer to was stitched into a cloak and had a button hole arrangement for the cloth to go over as can be seen on many Roman coins that show Emperors with such devices. I have two such originals one of which came out of the same mould as a one displayed in the museum at Chesters Fort on Hadrians' Wall only mine was found some miles farther east.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
standards - by derek forrest - 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Re: How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) - by PhilusEstilius - 12-18-2008, 02:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,629 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  guttman gladius whit pugio munazio planco 7 2,355 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: munazio planco
  Gladius and pugio munazio planco 3 1,625 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Last Post: d.carmichael