Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Forum for Book Lovers and Citation Collectors
Salve,<br>
<br>
Thanks for the link.<br>
<br>
Always good for the 'must get' list is anything by Peter Connolly. His books contain good information and superb artwork. <i> Rome and Greece at war</i> was recently reprinted and one should be able to get hold of a copy. This combines artwork from <i> The Roman army</i>, <i> The Greek armies</i> and <i> Hannibal and the enemies of Rome</i> along with some new ones with a more detailed text and contributions from B. Dobson and R.S.O Tomlin. The two titles on Tiberius Claudius Maximus, captor of Decebalus, are also recommendable reads.<br>
<br>
The standard academic work on the praetorian guard is <i> Les cohortes praetoriennes</i> by M. Durry, which however has the disadvantage, besides being written in French for those who have no French, of being out of date, being written some sixty years ago. University libraries may have a copy, but it is rare.<br>
<br>
Here are some publications that contain relevant material for the praetorian guard which one probably can find much easier:<br>
<br>
Campbell, B., <i> The emperor and the Roman army 31BC-AD235</i> (Oxford 1984) 468p. A reprint should be still available.<br>
Kennedy, D.L., 'Some observations on the Praetorian Guard' in: <i> Ancient Society</i> 9 (1978), 275-301. On size of cohorts.<br>
Sasel, J., 'Zur Rekrutierung der Praetorianer' in: <i> Historia</i> 21 (1972), 474-480.Onpraetorians recruited from outside Italy.<br>
Smith, R.E., 'The army reforms of Septimius Severus' in: <i> Historia</i> 21 (1972), 481-499. Some info on the reformed guard.<br>
Speidel, M.P., <i> Guards of the Roman armies</i> (Bonn 1978) 149p. (on the <i> singulares</i>, but snippets about the republican era praetorian units)<br>
Speidel, M.P., 'The Later Roman field army and the Guard of the High Empire' in: <i> Latomus</i> 46 (1987), 375-379. (Also reprinted in <i> Roman army studies II</i>).<br>
'Maxentius'praetorians' in: <i> Mélanges de l'École Francaise de Rome</i> 100 (1988) 183-186. (Also reprinted in <i> Roman army studies II</i>). The praetorian guard units were termed <i> cohortes palatinae</i> in their final years.<br>
Speidel, M.P., <i> Riding for Caesar. The Roman emperors' horse guard</i> (London 1994) 223p. Has some information on praetorian troopers.<br>
<br>
You should check at a nearby university library for periodicals like <i> Ancient Society</i>, <i> Historia</i>, and <i> Latomus</i>. <i> Guards of the Roman armies</i> is out of print, but <i> Riding for Caesar</i> is still listed on book sites, so it can probably still be ordered. A book in German by Stoever, <i> Die Praetorianer</i> is not very good and in my view can (should?) be avoided.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 6/6/01 2:23:21 pm<br></i>

Messages In This Thread
Re: New Forum for Book Lovers and Citation Collectors - by Anonymous - 06-01-2001, 02:34 PM
Re: books worth having - by Anonymous - 06-02-2001, 06:48 PM
Re: Davies - by Anonymous - 06-03-2001, 07:39 PM
Re: New Forum for Book Lovers and Citation Collectors - by Anonymous - 06-05-2001, 01:28 PM
wahoo what a mess... - by richard - 06-05-2001, 07:43 PM
Re: New Forum for Book Lovers and Citation Collectors - by Guest - 06-06-2001, 11:39 AM
Re: New Forum for Book Lovers and Citation Collectors - by Anonymous - 06-06-2001, 01:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Book: Blood In The Forum-Struggle for the Roman Republic Narukami 0 1,032 02-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Narukami