Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
goldsworthy\'s punics
Salve,<br>
<br>
The tactic of using infantry as a defensive bulwark to protect the cavalry and as a base of support from which the cavalry could sally forth and retreat to was retained in Roman army tactics and indeed long afterwards by the Byzantine empire and, probably through contact with this state's armed forces, to the armies of medieval Europe and the crusader states. Disciplined infantry could in general be more relied upon than horses not to collapse under the moral strain of a charge and by not exposing the horses to danger there was less risk of these taking along their riders in headlong flight. However an important difference between later examples of this tactic and those employed at the siege of Capua was that later on heavy infantry was usually employed and that the foot soldiers did not hitch a ride with the cavalry. Arrian deployed his infantry in a strong defensive formation which protected the cavalry behind it, which was only to advance through openings made in the infantry line when the initial Alan charge had been withstood. A very similar formation is described in the late 6th century <i> Strategikon</i>, book twelve, of Mauricius which goes more into detail how the infantry was to create such gaps to let the cavalry come through. Finally crusader armies operating in the east in particular adopted similar methods, using infantry formations which protected the cavalry against enemy charges and from which safe haven they could charge.<br>
<br>
<br>
Dennis, G.T., <i> Maurice's Strategikon. handbook of Byzantine military strategy</i> ( Philadelphia 1984)178p.<br>
DeVoto, J.G., <i> Flavius Arrianus: Technè Taktika (Tactical handbook) and Ektaxis kata Alanoon (The expedition against the Alans)</i> (Chicago 1993) 132p.<br>
Haldon, J., <i> Warfare, state and society in the Byzantine world 565-1204</i> (London 1999) 389p.<br>
<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 8/21/01 7:36:43 am<br></i>

Messages In This Thread
goldsworthy\'s punics - by Goffredo - 08-06-2001, 11:05 AM
Re: goldsworthy\'s punics - by JRSCline - 08-06-2001, 02:00 PM
mounted light infantry - by Goffredo - 08-06-2001, 03:40 PM
Re: goldsworthy\'s punics - by Guest - 08-16-2001, 10:09 AM
Re: goldsworthy\'s punics II - by Guest - 08-16-2001, 01:00 PM
Re: goldsworthy\'s punics - by JRSCline - 08-18-2001, 06:15 AM
Re: goldsworthy\'s punics - by Guest - 08-18-2001, 07:18 AM
Re: horns, dismounting and horse training - by Guest - 08-20-2001, 06:02 PM
Interesting - by Goffredo - 08-21-2001, 07:52 AM