Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How was the government system in Gaul?
Hi Antonio,

I moved this post to this section, where it belongs.

Quote: There were some tribes who were subdued to a direct monarchy, with a king, which was the most primitive system of government and law in the "barbarian" world. These kings had absolute power, and they could do whatever they wanted, as declaring war to any other tribe, extarminating his own people, violate any woman in the tribe, etc.
I beg your pardon? Kings with absolute power? No kings in history had absolute power. Where do you get that information? Power to exterminate his own people or violate his own tribal women? I think that’s stuff from comic books, not from scientific study!

Quote:But I am really curious about how were the superior councils in Gaul. Like the Aedui: that same council would elect a superior magistrate, like a roman consul, who stayed in charge with limited power but almost like a king. I don't really understand quite well the government system of those tribes. Can someone help me guys?

It did not work that way. A tribe is a socially (more or less) coherent group – you are aware to which family and tribe you belong, sometimes regardless of where you live. But after the Roman conquest the tribal lands were (more or less) converted into a district with a capital (civitas) – meaning that you are governed by the council of your district, regardless of your original tribal ancestry.

Local magistrates were no consuls. They had no king-like powers.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: How was the government system in Gaul? - by Robert Vermaat - 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM