Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sources for gladius hilt materials
LUCIUS, of course I agree , a lot of hilts have survive, but - be attention - some in your pictures aren' t original. They seem so , but aren't ,also if they are in a museum.
Then , take a look at the guard of the mogontiagum (the first sword in your post), and precisely take a look at the hole of the guard to insert the tang and then to the width of the bottom of the tang . Sounds strange.

here some other original handles
The following , well knew and already published , is an amazing spatha , sold around 1 years ago by a auction house

[Image: hh80cmbis.png]

and then some others unpublished , not available on internet (only the grip is original )

[Image: pompeimia3.jpg]
[img]
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/pomp ... 1/w500.png [/img]

[Image: stwo3192.jpg]
[Image: w1000.png]

Jesper , I have some more pics , if you are interested .

About materials for grips, I have re-hilted some original gladius and thus I check a lot of kinds of bone , and I have to say that it isn' t easy to find the straight one . Pigs bone are absolutely not good , the same for the big part of the cow , just a little better for horse legs bone, but until now I have not find the perfect bone . I can say that it doesn't exist.
I'm sure there is a "backstage" but I have not again found it .
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum

Messages In This Thread
Sources for gladius hilt materials - by Jesper D - 02-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Re: Sources for gladius hilt materials - by Gregg - 02-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Re: Sources for gladius hilt materials - by Gregg - 02-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Re: Sources for gladius hilt materials - by marcos - 03-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A theory on why the Gladius is designed with hilt preventing extended thrusts Wrangler29 1 747 03-22-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Arius
  Eagle gladius hilt Luca 24 6,481 11-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Anonymous