Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Here I must remind you Christian of your own words,vases are not photos! I don't find the cord of great significance,especially when there are other vases which show the shoulder guard up and the cord straight down.
Now to be fair,there are one or two vases I know of that don't show the shoulder guards straight up but somewhat to the side,which could be translated as softer matterial. There are far more though that show the flap straight. It can't be a coincidence.
Dan has a point about the scales not letting the matterial bent backwards. If it was just a little stiff,it wouldn't bent. If it had to bent,it would bent to the front. Also remember, the only example of greek scales ever found in mainland greece are those tiny ones on the gorget from Derveni. They have three or six holes. Three are visible in the top row,but i don't know if they are covered from the leather hem.
[Image: dervenibpectoral.jpg]
Another indication of the stiffness and nature of the matterial is the fact that when stored the linothorax was tied like when worn. It is shown some times in vases being carried like that,maintaining its shape. It also means that even though stored with the shoulder pieces tied down,they could stand up or even fall back when untied.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,872 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer