Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Quote:With some trepidation I have to disagree with Paullus Scipio about buff coats. I've owed a few and researched them at length. My last one was sold to a museum as a display piece. The leather isn't doubled around the body. It may be lined with linen, but there is no double layer of leather. Thick upper sleeves can be attached to the body, with thinner lower leather sleeves sometimes used. The leather is butt stitched. Some were high value objects, but the majority were more cheaply made for troopers. The leather is dressed with oil, generally fish oil, to make it flexible and resistant to weather.
.....I did not mean that buff coats generally were 'double layered', but I seem to recall seeing one or two better quality Gentlemen's Buff coats that were re-inforced in this way ( but I can't think where I saw it/them....I do recall some sort of scalloping effect, but I may be confusing different examples....)

Quote:My pteruges are the right length, but my body is too short.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Paullus Scipio - 03-17-2009, 09:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,872 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer