Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Quote:Another piece to throw on the fire:

I've been digging through Delian inventories lately, and I came upon this entry:

Inscriptions de Délos 1403, 165-157/6 BC:38qarbji Wrote:A cavalry thyreos in an oblong [shape?]- (em plaisiwi peri- and then lacuna)... a perfect gilded helmet with gilded horns and cheek pieces- (lacuna)... [something] silvered. Cuirass of woven linen with golden disks (thoraka huphanton linoun echonta chrusas aspidiskas)

Of course, this could very well be a cuirass captured from a barbarian, but the context of the other arms mentioned doesn't seem to indicate this. Foreign arms often seem to be qualified as such, and the horned helmet, for instance, is a very Hellenistic emblem of kingship - helmets with horns are shown, of course, on Seleucid coins. Still nice to have another source to work with.

Just to sound a note of caution here.....helmets with horns were not necessarily restricted to "Kings", - they were fairly widespread in Italy, or among the celts, for instance.Nor can I think of any Hellenistic King who might have been in Delos around this time. Furthermore, the date is troublesome (165-157 BC ). This would be a late date for both these items being 'contemporary'. I'm curious as to where this inscription comes from....would it be a temple by any chance? If so, that greatly increases the possibility that this is a list of 'trophies' owned by the temple, like the linen cuirasses seen by Pausanias in a temple in Asia Minor in the 1 C AD.......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by Paullus Scipio - 03-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 33,054 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer