Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new Knife from the Port finds...
I don't know about you people but every time I buy myself a new book (about the Celts), I find inside a couple of items/pictures that do intrigue me every time I look at it. Just because it's awesome in one way or the other I don't know. Somehow when it comes to knifes, it's mostly the bigger ones... *wink* And then of course those are the ones I one day would like to have made for me...

Lately by means of this forum I found myself a smith (Robert Wimmers) who lives near from where I live... And he was willing to have a go at making such a knife for me. He also made it possible for me to witness the forging of the knife showing me that the Celts definitely knew what they where doing and where now in 2009 giving him a hart time trying to reproduce this one...

The one Knife I am talking about is number 223 from the Port finds and from the same region and time period as my Port helmet [url:1ko38fxh]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_helmets/task,view/cid,96/Itemid,96/[/url], so this one would be a perfect combination and complete and compliment my Late Celtic outfit... Of course this one proved to be the most difficult one from the book to make and therefore was a challenge for Robert...

Never the less he succeeded and is willing to make more Iron age Celtic Roman or whatever period, knife or other weapon...

So to make a long story short here it is. Shown in different steps from the first forging to the final polished result and finely in his new environment...

Oh and as if you couldn't tell by now, I am very pleased with it!

[Image: PortKnifeScanFromBook.jpg]
The picture from the book...

[Image: Portknife01.jpg]

[Image: Portknife02.jpg]

[Image: Portknife03.jpg]

[Image: Portknife04.jpg]

[Image: Portknife05.jpg]

[Image: Portknife06.jpg]

[Image: Portknife07.jpg]

[Image: Portknife2Solo.jpg]

[Image: PortKnifePotterySkullyHelme.jpg]

In the mean time also introdusing a one of the new members of the familie...
(but he is very quied..) *lol*

[Image: PortKnifePigSkully.jpg]

[Image: PortKnifePotterySkully.jpg]

[Image: PortKnifePottery.jpg]

I quess these are enough pictures?
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC

Messages In This Thread
My new Knife from the Port finds... - by Folkert van Wijk - 03-02-2009, 02:41 PM