Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
quality of Byzantine army
Eugene,
Thank you for your question. The general answer to your question is that many Western chroniclers did force a lot of anti-Greek/Byzantine bias upon their reader (such as practically every chronicle of the Crusades). In fact, the term 'Greek' (the Latin form) was largely used in a pejorative sense until the 19th century (the famous quote being '...the perfidious Greeks...'), whereas Hellene (the Greek form) was used with a positive connotation. Much of the stereotype also stems from Imperial policy (if one can call it that) from approximately the 11th-13th centuries that typically played Latins/Franks/Westerners against Muslims/Orientals, i.e., barbarian against barbarian, whilst still advancing a Byzantine-first agenda. In short, Western chronicles portray the Byzantines in a way that humans very often portray the 'other,' which is to say negatively.

P.S. - I am using contemporary modern terminology that they would probably not have used.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I

Messages In This Thread
quality of Byzantine army - by eugene - 03-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Re: quality of Byzantine army - by kuura - 03-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Re: quality of Byzantine army - by hoplite14gr - 03-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Re: quality of Byzantine army - by Ioannes_Ahenobarbus - 03-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Structural Organization of the Late Byzantine Army Flavivs Aetivs 10 3,250 12-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Macedon