Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal lathes for spinning Coolus helmets and such
Quote:On the control/regulation issue, I have a dim mental picture of a wide leather strap clutch around a flat wheel, but I couldn't describe it better. Essentially, iirc, an operator puts more or less tension on the drive wheel by tightening the strap with a lever to produce more or less speed. I can't recall where I saw that mechanism, so I can't be more specific.

I don't think they built complicated pulley mechanisms, though, like you'd see on top of a multi-speed drill press, for example. And we don't find a lot of gearboxes, either, so it would have had to be something more direct and simple than that.

Gears, friction and toothed are described by classical writers but only in relation to clever gadgets like Archimedes' mechanical plantarium, not industrial processes.

I've got a dim recollection of a mention of some sort of gearing being used to lathe -turn the drums for stone columns but can't remember where it was.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal lathes for spinning Coolus helmets and such - by Medicus matt - 04-28-2009, 02:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why the switch from Montefortino to Coolus/Iperial helmets happened? Corvus 10 2,518 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Metal thickness in helmets Urselius 20 5,987 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Endre Fodstad