Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greave straps
No evidence of what the straps were made of and how they were tied. I can say two thingsfor sure. First, the greaves that had straps were nothing different than the early classical greaves that wraped the leg all around. The later greaves,which appeared in the 4th century bc were exactly the same,PLUS they had the straps.
Second, I have seen a very interesting pair in the Vergina museum. They were found in the Tomb of the "Prince" and they had a metal decorated clip that went all around the greave in the ankle level. It wasn't visible how it was closing because it was closing at the back. I remember i have seen photos somewhere of greaves that have corroded traces of the straps,but can't remember if they were the same ones from Vergina. Perhpas they were also guilded.
So the point is that the straps do not mean an easier construction of a greave that covers only the front of the leg like later roman greaves. It means muscled bronze greaves that go all around the leg and can stay in place only by the springiness of the bronze,but thet are further fastened with straps.
The padding in the ankle appears in many vases. Some times hoplites wear them without the greaves! It is thicker in the front and tied at the back. Its exact shape and construction method/matterial is not known. It does indicate that even the perfectly fitting classical greaves had a tendency to slip downwards when walking or running and that the violent movement of the foot could get painful.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Greave straps - by Theron_of _Sikyon - 05-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Re: Greave straps - by Lýsandros - 05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Re: Greave straps - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 05-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Re: Greave straps - by Lýsandros - 05-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Re: Greave straps - by Dain II. - 05-19-2009, 10:07 PM