Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Little Penatration... (testing a cheiroballista)
There is a video on youtube "Mail Call" with gunny witha simular looking machine as this one except the size of Nicks machine (arms not included). It looks most like the Romania Orsova machine but for the life of me cannot figure out why they chose to make it an outswinger. I dont think it would make bolts fly any farther than this smaller one although it has 1300 lbs pull.

Perhaps it is the fault of the museum for displaying the frame and Kam incorrectly thus giving folks a corrupted perspective. The Kam is back to front and one spring frame is backwards.

Assembled correctly the longer tangs on the kam create an off-set for the stanchions giving the machine an extra 15-20 degrees of rotation set up as an inswinger. The significance is that (a) at 90 or even 100 degrees of rotation, the arms do not hit the "slack point" as Wilkins(?)stated happens. The machine is designed to use structural compression from twisting under load. There is a real reason for the tangs being staggered unless you make the kam so stiff it has no flex at all.

(b) The extra rotation means that the machine can be operated for much longer between tightenings provided both half springs pull in balance. When loosened some total rotation may be up to 130 - 135. More potential energy equals more potential velocity.

© As the ropes loosen with use, you may still collect max. pull by using a few extra degrees of rotation (has plenty more). A bonus is you get to utilize/expend a greater percentage of the machines available energy. More shooting time, less downtime, maximizing downtime for maintainance or tightening.

(d) blah blah blah and so on. I talk too much.Sorry.
Torsion rules! - Joel from Ham. Ont. Ca.

Messages In This Thread
Re: A Little Penatration... - by D B Campbell - 05-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Re: A Little Penatration... (testing a cheiroballista) - by Warhammer1 - 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Our new cheiroballista... Nerva 119 23,937 11-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  Testing a Cheiroballista 2 - Gory Images!!! Nerva 29 8,055 05-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Last Post: gneuspartak