Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book About Attila and the Romans
I was just about to start a thread on this very book when I saw this one... Smile
Thanks for posting this review, Narukami.

This new book seems to be the latest in a trend among academia and Hollywood to de-emphasize
Attila the Hun's brutalities and very real savagery. His destruction of long established cities largely
contributed to the decline of urbanization in Europe which continued into the post-Roman period.

But some authors seem to willing to attribute the Hun's ruthlessness as being typical for the time. The
main point they'd rather emphasize is that Attila wasn't a stupid, run-of-the-mill raider. Ok, fine.
Being a savage doesn't imply stupidity or unsophistication. But Attila's legacy is that of a destroyer of lives
and, more lastingly, cities. I can think of few enemies of Rome who wrought that level of destruction.
The Carthaginians ? No. Germanic tribes, celtic tribes, Greeks ? No, no, and no. Persians, Arabs ?
Yes, on occasion for both - the most notable being Antioch, Alexandria, and Carthage all destroyed.
But at least the Persians and the Arabs (later) built cities, were literate, and capable of mercy.

A better alternative is probably Attila : The Barbarian King Who Challenged Rome which seems more
conventional and truer to history.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: New Book About Attila and the Romans - by Theodosius the Great - 06-01-2009, 07:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Romans book jbd_29349 4 1,487 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Last Post: John W Davison
  Belgian book on Romans. Can anyone help? Graham Sumner 9 2,006 11-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  New book coming for us late romans! Virilis 9 2,152 03-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Virilis