Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death of Mark Antony
I have just returned from a holiday in Egypt doing the temples between Luxor and Aswan. I was interested to hear the Egyptian Historian accompanying us say that Mark Antony died at Actium and hearing he had died, Cleopatra fled back to Egypt. In due course Octavian arrived and she committed suicide. I am aware that the the Egyptians have no love of the Roman Empire and all it stood for. My historian was quite adamant of Antony's death at Actium. I have two opposing hypothesis:

1.Hating Rome, the last thing the Egyptians wish to remember is their last great queen dying for the love of a Roman hero. The answer, rewrite history. The guy was a military failure, Cleopatra flees back to Egypt where Octavian arrives and forces her to suicide rather than face total humiliation at the hands of Rome. All the Roman's fault!

2.Octavian had done all he could to defame Mark Antony before meeting him at Actium. Nevertheless, Mark Antony was still a popular figure even if he had erred in the eyes of many. It might not sit well at Rome of Octavian had killed him at Actium, so the propaganda machine swings into action and the old hero flees in a cowardly fashion to pursue his Egyptian love – yes dear Romans, he really has gone native! The he kills himself before Octavian could get to him. Yes dear Romans, he killed himself – not Octavian's fault! The defamation of Antony is complete and Octavian gets what he wanted.

I guess a third alternative is that history as we read it is correct. Just what are the sources for the historic version? Were there Pompeian legions awaiting in Egypt after Actium?

Views people?

Quintus
(AKA Guido Aston)
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)

Messages In This Thread
Death of Mark Antony - by Quintus Sertorius - 06-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Re: Death of Mark Antony - by Epictetus - 06-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Re: Death of Mark Antony - by Quintus Sertorius - 06-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Re: Death of Mark Antony - by A_Volpe - 06-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Re: Death of Mark Antony - by VespilloAD64 - 06-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Re: Death of Mark Antony - by M. Demetrius - 06-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Re: Death of Mark Antony - by Jona Lendering - 06-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Re: Death of Mark Antony - by Quintus Sertorius - 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM